Friday, November 07, 2008

Happy Days!

First Obama on Tuesday, then Brown on Thursday! And there I was trying not to get my hopes up for a Labour victory in Glenrothes of a mere 500!

I personally think it was Sarah Brown wot won it. Some SNP people dismissed her as "too English" to have an effect - and she is very middle England. But Gordon+Sarah represent Middle Scotland married to Middle England. Which is the antithesis of the SNP message. I think too that the people of Glenrothes liked the fact that the government was taking them so seriously that the Prime Minister and his wife came in person to woo them. (For those naysayers who said that Sarah shouldn't campaign - she's a paid-up member of the Labour party and is entitled to campaign as much as any other member.)

I can't help feeling that the zeitgeist favours the centre-left. Now is our moment in history, 1997 was merely a holding point. The tide is with us, can we take it at the flood?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hats off to Labour and Gordon Brown. I can not take away from you that victory. Well fought!

Now are you going to make a post about this quarters insolvency figures released today? Individual insolvencies are up 8.8% on the previous quarter which rather supports what I was saying when we discussed the previous set of figures. Do you blog on figures that only support your arguements?

snowflake5 said...

Devonchap - I blog on whatever interests me when I log in! - and my head has been too full of Obama and Glenrothes to think about anything else.

Will do a major post about the economy when I have an hour or two spare to look at the data

Anonymous said...

Fair enough, it is your blog after all. It is just you blogged on the last set of figures and I'm really interested to see what you make of these as they don't support your arguments then.